Tuesday, July 11, 2023
Breakfast & Opening Gavel Ceremony
9:00 – 10:00 a.m. ET
Emcees: New York State Senator and NALEO Second Vice President Gustavo Rivera; NALEO President Lubby Navarro
Video welcome remarks by the President of the United States, Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
• Representative Adriano Espaillat (NY-13);
• New York Secretary of State Robert J. Rodriguez;
• New York State Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas; and
• Mr. Antonio Reynoso, President, Borough of Brooklyn, City of New York, New York
National Leadership Luncheon & Plenary: New York City’s Latino Diaspora
12:00 – 1:30 p.m. ET
New York City is the largest city in the nation, with a population of over 8.5 million. Given its long history of welcoming immigrants from all over the world, it is no surprise that New York City also has a significant and highly diverse Latino community. The city’s more than 2.5 million Latino residents represent over 20 nationalities. During this plenary session, participants will hear from experts who will discuss the various waves of Latino migration to the city from throughout the Caribbean and Latin America and how these communities have shaped the rich tapestry of New York’s boroughs and neighborhoods as well as its political power dynamics, economy, and culture.
Emcees: Hon. Alejandra Sotelo-Solis, Member, University of California Regents Selection Advisory Committee and NALEO Educational Fund Chair
Welcome Remarks: Hon. Nanette Diaz Barragán, U.S. Representative (CA-44), Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chair, and NALEO Board Member
Video Welcome Remarks:
• Senator Chuck Schumer (NY);
• Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (NY); and
• Representative Ritchie Torres (NY-15)
Moderator: Ms. Mónica Gil, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative and Marketing Officer, NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises
• Ms. Grace Bonilla, President and CEO, United Way of New York City
• Dr. Félix Matos Rodríguez, Chancellor, The City University of New York (CUNY)
Wednesday, July 12, 2023
Breakfast Plenary: Latinas Leading Our Recovery
8:45 – 10:15 a.m. ET
As the country continues to recover from the pandemic, Latina leaders in various sectors are at the forefront of rebuilding our economy, workforce, education systems, and communities. This plenary will feature a discussion about the distinct challenges and opportunities these leaders face while highlighting best practices to support the success of future Latina leaders.
*Please note that a tribute to our nation’s veterans will take place before the panel discussion.
Moderator: Hon. Lorraine A. Cortés-Vázquez, Commissioner, Department for the Aging, New York City and Former NALEO Board Member
• State of Rhode Island Lieutenant Governor Sabina Matos;
• New York State Assemblymember and New York State Puerto Rican and Hispanic Legislative Task Force Chair Karines Reyes; and
• Ms. Rebeca Vargas, Head of Diverse Segment Marketing, Wells Fargo
National Leadership Luncheon & Plenary: America's Financial Outlook in a Global Economy
12:00 – 1:30 p.m. ET
As the nation prepares for the next presidential election in 2024, the state of the U.S. economy is sure to command significant attention. In 2023—high inflation, rising interest rates, and bank failures lead some experts to believe the economy may be heading into a recession. In addition to the pandemic, it is evident that other factors like war, natural disasters, supply chain disruptions, and an aging workforce influence our financial outlook. This plenary discussion will provide an overview of the current state of the U.S. economy, discuss the impact this may have on fiscal outlooks for state and local governments, and elevate economic strategies that can help strengthen and improve economic resilience.
*Please note that the presentation of the NALEO President’s Award will take place before the panel discussion.
Moderator: Texas State Representative and Past NALEO Educational Fund Chair Rafael Anchia (TX-103)
• Mr. Michael Gapen, Managing Director and Head of U.S. Economics, Bank of America; and
• Hon. Eric Van Nostrand, Acting Assistant Secretary for Economic Policy, U.S. Department of the Treasury
Thursday, July 13, 2023
Coffee with the President’s Cabinet: A Discussion of Latino Leadership in America
9:00 – 10:00 a.m. ET
Latinos are leading in the country’s highest levels of government by serving in the Biden Administration. This plenary will engage heads of federal agencies to discuss pressing policy issues around migrant and asylum seekers, post-pandemic recovery, and how policymakers can partner with federal agencies on solutions to meet the needs of states and local communities.
Moderator: Mr. Gabe Gutierrez, NBC News National Correspondent
• Hon. Xavier Becerra, Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
• Hon. Isabella Casillas Guzman, Administrator, U.S. Small Business Administration
• Hon. Alejandro N. Mayorkas, Secretary, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
National Leadership Luncheon
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. ET
Emcee: Hon. Ricardo Lara, California Insurance Commissioner, NALEO Board Member, Past NALEO President
• Hon. Jeffrey Sanchez, Former Massachusetts State Representative, Health Policy and Management Instructor, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, NALEO Board Nominations Committee Chair;
• Hon. Felicia Ortiz, President, Nevada State Board of Education
• Nevada State Senator and Nevada Hispanic Legislative Caucus Chair Fabian Doñate; and
• Nevada State Assemblymember Cecelia González
Special Presentation: Steve Kornacki, National Political Correspondent, NBC News and MSNBC
NALEO Presidential Forum
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. ET
As public servants on the front lines of addressing America’s policy challenges, NALEO Members have been key partners with the White House. The NALEO Presidential Forum will provide an opportunity for presidential candidates to address the nation’s Latino elected and appointed leadership and the key policy issues that millions of Latinos will be following during the 2024 presidential campaign.
Moderator: Arturo Vargas, NALEO Educational Fund CEO
• Ms. Marianne Williamson, Author and 2024 Presidential Candidate;
• Hon. Francis Suarez, Miami Mayor and 2024 Presidential Candidate; and
• Mr. Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Attorney, Writer, and 2024 Presidential Candidate